What really happens when a dog licks your face?

You've probably heard this saying: "The mouth of a dog is cleaner than the mouth of a person." This is a great example of the fact that you cannot believe everything you hear. Both canine and human mouths contain bacteria, and in huge quantities. However, in fact, they cannot be compared in order to choose the lesser of two evils. It's like comparing oranges and apples. After all, humans and animals have different lifestyles, habitats and eating habits.

Different microorganisms live in the mouth of humans and dogs.

Only 16% of the bacteria in a dog's mouth coincide with the microorganisms found in the mouth of humans. We do not know how the remaining 84% of bacteria will behave when they enter our mouth. If earlier it was believed that such microorganisms cannot cause any reactions, and a kiss of a person with a person can become much more harmful, now scientists have come to different conclusions. In fact, the transfer of bacteria from a dog's mouth to the human mouth can cause gingivitis or periodontal disease.

Some bacteria are too dangerous

Investigating this problem, scientists have identified the most dangerous enemy: Porphyromonas gulae. This type of canine bacteria, when ingested by humans, can cause gum disease and even tooth loss. The disease caused by these microorganisms is quite common in dogs, and has now transmitted 16% of the studied pet owners.

They are antibiotic resistant

It's no secret that a dog loves to lick its owner's face. Here's another reason some of us keep away from cute "kisses": some bacteria found in the mouth of dogs are antibiotic resistant. Therefore, if the specified microorganism enters the human body, it is much more difficult to destroy.

If the pet licks the owner's wound

Also, health problems can be obtained if the animal begins to lick its owner's wound. Although common in dogs, Pasteurella bacteria can be treated with antibiotics, they in turn open the door for more serious infections.