Vryatli asked the following question: what will happen if the earth is deprived of oxygen for 5 seconds? ⌚ Therefore, immediately a selection for the curious.
1. All people on the beach will be immediately burned. Oxygen molecules in the air protect our skin from UV radiation.
2. Due to the fact that the number of reflective particles will drop sharply, the sky will become very dark, almost black.
3. Metal parts not covered with a layer of insulating material will be "welded" into one lump. The only thing that keeps the metal parts from sticking to each other is the oxidized layer.
4. The earth's crust will begin to crack.
5. The inner ear of humans and animals will burst because about 21 percent of the atmospheric pressure will be lost.
6. All buildings made of concrete will turn to dust as oxygen is an important binder of concrete.
7. Water is 1/3 of oxygen. If it is not there, hydrogen will become a gas and expand in volume.
8. The oceans will evaporate and "flow away" into space.
9. Without oxygen, hydrogen rises to the upper troposphere, and eventually ends up in space.
What would happen if the oxygen was doubled?
10. Paper planes would fly further.
11. The car would need less gasoline to travel the same distance.
12. People would feel happier and more cheerful.
13. Supplemental oxygen would improve our cognition, alertness and physical well-being.
14. BUT. Giant insects would appear on Earth, since the size of the insect's body is determined by the proportion of oxygen in the atmosphere. And everything would be ruined.