Love is like cocaine. If you do a tomography tomography of the brain of a person in love, you will notice one interesting detail: he will have very much excited two zones responsible for the so-called reward system. Scientists attribute this to the effect of increased doses of dopamine, a substance that usually causes feelings of pleasure. Curiously, these areas of the brain only react to cocaine with such force.
2. Love as a way of survival. Animals that form long-term couples have three stages in a relationship: desire, infatuation, affection. Desire is not a sexual drive directed at someone (zoologists use this word for states based on basic needs: satisfying hunger, thirst and sexual desire). Passion is fixation on a specific object. Affection is a strong bond built for a long-term breeding program. Scientists have become convinced that romantic love in humans is a modified form of attraction in animals. It appeared in our ancestors as a way of survival. In other words, love helps to save efforts, so as not to be scattered, but to seek one partner in order to reproduce.
3. Love lasts from 1, 5 to 3 years. There is a biological meaning here: such a period guaranteed the participation of the father in the first, most difficult months of the life of the mother and child among our ancestors. In the presence of barriers, such as non-reciprocity, separation, a strong discrepancy in schedules, love can last much longer.
4. Love is blind. The photographs sent to BG by the German researcher Andreas Bartel show that the zones that are usually active in the brain of a person who is not in love are sleeping in lovers. These are zones of negative emotions and rational decisions.
5. Where does depression come from? A person who is unhappy in love goes through two stages. Dopamine levels rise even more at first. The consequence of such an overdose is rage and an even more heightened feeling of love. But sooner or later the second phase comes. Dopamine falls below average, which causes depression.
6. Love is addiction. Since love is similar in effect to cocaine, scientists recommend treating unhappy love in the same way as drug addiction. It is necessary to remove incentives and reminders - throw out all the photos, do not call and do something completely new. Full restart.
7. Love can be healed with medicines. As with maniacs who do not control their actions, serious chemical changes occur in the blood of lovers. They have severely lowered serotonin, an important hormone. Scientists blame the already mentioned dopamine for this: a natural drug that pushes us into madness, which turns off the control system. The statistics of love crimes are such that in America they are seriously talking about its treatment with pills.
8. Serotonin kills love. If you give a mouse a large dose of serotonin, it will reject its regular partner and start mating with just about anyone. They explain it this way: serotonin lowers the level of dopamine, and at the same time - the degree of love (but not attraction). It is important to remember that serotonin levels are elevated by modern antidepressants.
9. Newness saves love. Arriving in a foreign country, finding themselves in an unfamiliar hotel, many couples are again capable of madness. In response to any novelty, dopamine is again released in high concentrations in the brain, and it can short-circuit old electrical circuits, for example, the very drive of love. In general, American psychologists for many years have routinely advised all married couples to arrange a date night once a week. But you can't go to the same restaurant all the time. We need to look for novelty.
10. Men love with their eyes. In men, during the period of love, the area of the cerebral cortex, which is responsible for vision, becomes more active. So it's not for nothing that they say that men love with their eyes. In women, the zone associated with memory is more active: the instinct remembers the partner's behavior for several weeks, and then analyzes the information received in order to properly weigh the pros and cons. As a result, women remember all the details of the first phase of the novel much better.