"Big Hole" Kimberly South Africa - an interesting fact that will tell you about the largest "hole dug by hand".
The city of Kimberley bears the proud title of the "diamond capital of the world". And his story, brilliant in every sense, began like this: in 1866. a boy named Erasmus Jacobs found a 20-carat diamond on the banks of the Orange River, which was named "Eureka". Three years later, another diamond was found in the same vicinity - the "Star of South Africa" 83.5 carats, sold in London for £ 25, 000. a stone of the same size was found on the slopes of Colesberg Kopje on a farm owned by the De Beers brothers.
Very soon a real diamond rush began here. July 5, 1873 the city was renamed from "New Rush" to Kimberley after Lord Kimberley, Minister of the Colonies of the British Empire. By this time, it was already the second largest city in South Africa with a population of 13, 000 whites and 30, 000 blacks. 50, 000 miners using picks and shovels made Colesberg Kopje disappear from the face of the earth and gradually turned it into the world famous Big Hole, or the Kimberley Mine, 463 m wide and 240 m deep.
The "Big Hole" was closed in 1914. It is the largest of those "dug by hand" - 1097 meters deep. More than 22 million tons of rock were moved to the surface and 3 tons of diamonds were mined.