Experienced mums and dads share simple solutions that really make family life easier and reduce stress not only for adults, but also for children.
Blogger Joanna Goddard has collected tips from seasoned parents in her Cup of Joe community. Here is some of them. Indeed, wonderful.
1. If your child has fallen, the first thing to ask is, "Are you in pain or scared?" Usually children are just scared or embarrassed. If so, tell a story about how one day you or your dad (or “even uncle, you won't believe!”) Fell down the same way when you were little. Toddlers love these stories, they help them to maintain good spirits.
2. If you are on an airplane with the whole family, always take seats in different rows: have one parent sit next to the children, and the other separately. Change places every two hours. A proven way to make travel easier for everyone.
3. If you want to grab the attention of children at the dinner table or somewhere else, start the sentence with the words: "Have I ever told you a story about ..."
4. Learn to draw a few simple animals, such as a frog, a bird, or objects (an airplane, a doll). Children will be asked to draw them over and over again.
5. A stopwatch is a great motivator when you need your child to tie his shoelaces, eat what is on the plate, clean his room, in general, do anything faster.
6. To avoid exhausting battles for “put on your jacket, it's cold outside, please, now, I said”, instead of the first words (“put on your jacket”) say: “Stretch your arms”, and then just dress the child.
7. Create a weekly "donut day" or "candy day". Instead of saying “no, you can't have sweets” all the time, remind your child: “We eat candy on Wednesdays.” The ritual will make the day special, children will look forward to it and at the same time develop such a useful quality as patience.
8. Preschoolers can be asked to choose and pack their favorite book with them on the long journey by metro or other transport - this teaches them to entertain themselves. In terms of size and content, books with drawings are most suitable, where you need to find a hero or object in the thick of things.
9. Kids are always not averse to drinking water and pee. Even if they say no, if you put a glass of water or a pot in front of them, they will.
10. It is important not only to be close to the child physically, but also to fully focus on him. When you come home from work, if possible, leave your phone in your bag and just hang out with your child (10 minutes or an hour, depending on your circumstances). Even if you are tired, you are in a bad mood, you had a hard day at work, forget about everything for a while and chat with your baby. Before preparing dinner or doing other household chores. Ironically, sometimes children themselves are too busy to spend time with you - playing enthusiastically or doing homework - and to be completely happy they just need to know that you are there and ready to communicate.
11. You can think of a game: every weekend go to the market and ask the children to choose two new vegetables. As a rule, they are extremely fascinated by the occupation. At home, you can choose new recipes together and thus try a lot of healthy vegetables: spinach chips, avocado guacamole, sautéed pumpkin, green smoothies. A great way to introduce your little ones to new foods.
12. Brushing your teeth is one of the most unattractive activities for children. Invite your child to choose a song and sing it while he brushes his teeth. On the one hand, singing will not let him get bored, because he knows the words, and on the other hand, it will work like a timer, thanks to which he will know how much is left.
13. It will be easier for toddlers who get anxious to deal with anxiety more easily if you make it a rule to briefly talk about activities and events in the morning. For example, if a difficult situation for a four-year-old is ahead, you can give him time to prepare in advance, tune in: "We are going to a children's party in the evening, there will be many children younger than you, and you will need to be patient with them, okay?"
14. Children do not particularly like to clean their room, but they adore other household chores: taking out the trash, unloading the dishwasher, vacuuming, washing the stove. It remains to find out what your child likes. Start with small tasks, such as taking him out of the washing machine, or sorting out socks in pairs. If you do not have work for them, but desperately need twenty free minutes for yourself, come up with an assignment (but it should sound serious!): "I really need to transfer all these nuts from the bag to the bowl."
15. If the baby starts to be capricious while walking, invite him to try to walk in a new way: marching, jumping like a frog, waddling like a penguin.
16. It is a good idea to invite as many guests to your child's birthday party as your child turns. Then he will not be overworked and not too overwhelmed by impressions. One year - one guest, four years - four friends ...
17. At lunchtime, go to school without warning and go to lunch together.
18. When going to the playground, take at least two small toys with you - for new friends. As a rule, babies first play next to each other and only then begin to play together.
19. Always say goodbye to your child when you leave - this is important, even if goodbye makes him cry.