- Michael F. Farley, 1921
In 1881, Michael F. Farley immigrated from Ireland to the United States at the age of 18. He opened a successful liquor business in New York City and was elected to Congress in 1915. However, his successful ascent to power was interrupted after a visit to a hairdresser. Farley was unlikely to have guessed that the barber's badger shaving brush, which he used to create the luxurious lather, was contaminated with anthrax. Farley was infected with the bacteria and died a few days later. Who knew that a hairdressing shaving brush could be a weapon of mass destruction ...
- Alexander Nikolaevich Scriabin, 1915.
Alexander Scriabin was a pianist and composer with a rather eccentric outlook on life. The composer subscribed to the magazine "I am God", he experimented with tones and rhythms in his compositions, and developed a special organ that turned music into colors. His last work was to be The Mystery, a grand show that was to last seven days in the foothills of the Himalayas in India. Alas, shaving took him away. Scriabin died at the age of 43 after cutting himself while shaving and getting blood poisoning.
- John Henry Taylor, 1911
John Henry Taylor was a common gardener who decided to take a boat trip back in 1911. After a while on board, he realized that his beard was too big and he decided to visit the ship's hairdresser. It was hectic that day, but the hairdresser was a professional and successfully coped with the task with only one injury to John. But that was enough for the infection. A few days later, a lump began to grow at the site of the cut, the ship's doctor could not do anything, and after a few days this lump blocked the airways, from which John died.
- John Thoreau, 1841
John Thoreau was the brother of the famous American writer, Henry David Thoreau. In the winter of 1841, during his daily shaving routine, John Thoreau cut himself. A few days later he developed tetanus and died in the arms of his brother Henry. After that, Henry sat in the room for several weeks and did not leave it. Two weeks later, an old man came to him, with whom he talked, sitting on the bank of the pond. It was after this that Henry discovered his talent as a writer.
- Lord Carnarvon, 1923
On November 26, 1922, Lord Carnarvon was one of the first to look into the burial chamber of Tutankhamun, in which no one had been for more than 3000 years. Three months later, he was dead. The Earl of Carnarvon, aka George Herbert, was the chief financier of the Egyptian excavations carried out by the archaeologist Howard Carter in the Valley of the Kings. After a series of unsuccessful excavations, Carnarvon thought about abandoning the project, but Carter convinced him to give him one last chance. And the decision paid off a hundredfold with the opening of the tomb of Tutankhamun by Carter. But Herbert ended up with little time to enjoy this momentous discovery. Having entered the tomb, he was already carried out by handyman loaders, it was in the tomb that he first lost consciousness under the influence of infection. In late February 1923, Herbert was bitten on the cheek by a mosquito. He subsequently cut the bite while shaving. A small incision became the door for infection. And Lord Carnarvon fell ill with sepsis. A little later, he fell ill with pneumonia, which finally destroyed his health ... The nightmarish story of death from shaving became the basis for the "curse of Tutankhamun", or "curse of the mummy."