In one fell swoop I beat everyone

Private Dmitry Ovcharenko fought from the very first days of the Great Patriotic War. But due to his injury, he was transferred from the combat unit, where he was a machine gunner, riding to an ammunition depot.

On July 13, 1941, in battles in the area of ​​the city of Balti, while delivering ammunition to his company near the town of Piesets, a sled machine-gun company of the 389th Infantry Regiment of the 176th Infantry Division of the 9th Army of the Southern Front, the Red Army soldier D.R.Ovcharenko was surrounded by a detachment of soldiers and enemy officers numbering 50 people. At the same time, the enemy managed to take possession of his rifle. However, D.R.Ovcharenko did not lose his head and snatched an ax from the cart, chopped off the officer who was interrogating him, threw 3 grenades at the enemy soldier, destroying 21 soldiers. The rest fled in panic. Then he caught up with the second officer and also chopped off his head. The third officer managed to escape. After that, he collected documents and maps from the dead and arrived at the company with the cargo.

The nomination of Dmitry Ovcharenko for the title of Hero of the Soviet Union, signed by the commander of the Southern Front, Lieutenant General D.I. Ryabyshev and member of the Military Council L.R. Korniyets.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of November 9, 1941 "for the exemplary fulfillment of combat missions of the command on the front of the struggle against the Nazi invaders and the courage and heroism shown at the same time" the Red Army soldier Ovcharenko Dmitry Romanovich was awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union with the award of the Order of Lenin and the Star".

Dmitry was reinstated as a machine gunner and continued to fulfill his military duty. In the battles for the liberation of Hungary in the area of ​​Sheregeyesh station, the machine gunner of the 3rd tank brigade, Private D.R.Ovcharenko, was seriously wounded and died in the hospital from his wounds on January 28, 1945.