The first issue of the Pravda newspaper was published on May 5, 1912. In memory of this event in the Soviet Union, this date was celebrated as the Day of the Soviet Press. In 1991, the holiday was abolished, and a new one was introduced - the Day of the Russian Press, which is celebrated on January 13th. On this day in 1703, by decree of Peter the Great, the first printed newspaper in Russia with a rather complicated name was published: "Vedomosti about military and other matters worthy of knowledge and memory that happened in the Moscow State and in other neighboring countries." Or, as it was briefly called, “Vedomosti”.
During the Soviet era, Pravda was the country's main newspaper. In 1931, construction began on the construction of the Pravda newspaper printing house, which was completed in 3 years. By the decision of the government, Muscovites and Leningraders were to receive the newspaper on the same day, therefore, in the same 1931, a special airline was opened, through which the matrices of "Pravda" were delivered to Leningrad. The best pilots of the country were selected to service this line, and the valuable cargo had to be delivered in any weather.
But before the revolution, the newspaper was delivered to Russia in a different way - it was printed in Finnmark, in the north of Norway, and then delivered in barrels of herring to the port of Arkhangelsk, from where it was illegally distributed throughout the country. In the early years, VI Lenin was actively published in this newspaper. Only from 1912 to 1914 285 works by the leader of the world revolution were published in Pravda.
The newspaper was awarded three Orders of the Soviet Union - two Orders of Lenin (1945 and 1962) and the Order of the October Revolution (1972). In addition, in 1980 the editorial office of the newspaper received the prestigious international award "Golden Mercury". In the seventies, the circulation of Pravda exceeded 10, 000, 000 copies.
One curious legend is connected with the Pravda newspaper. In 1935, the miner Stakhanov exceeded the rate of coal production per shift by almost 14 times. Naturally, an article dedicated to this event appeared in the country's central newspaper. But a mistake crept into the material - Andrei Stakhanov was named Alexei. When JV Stalin was informed about this, he made a decision - there can be no untruth in the newspaper Pravda. So Andrei Stakhanov became Alexei.
An unusual collection was collected by A. V. Lutkovsky from Novosibirsk. Here he placed those newspapers whose titles contain the word "truth". And there were dozens of them all over the territory of the Soviet Union. For example, Komsomolskaya Pravda, Pionerskaya Pravda, Altayskaya Pravda, Magadanskaya Pravda. It is difficult to compile a complete list of such newspapers. By the way, the very first issue of Pravda in 1912 costs more than one thousand rubles from collectors.
The newspaper "Pravda", as a printed organ of the Central Committee of the CPSU, ceased to exist on August 22, 1991. On this day, the last issue came out, and the publication was closed by decree of Boris N. Yeltsin. Already in the fall of the same year, Pravda began to appear as a “general political newspaper”.
The 100th anniversary of the Pravda newspaper was celebrated on May 5, 2012 in the Column Hall. An electronic portal was prepared for this event, where one can find all issues of the Pravda newspaper for a whole century.