Interesting facts about sea salt

People have been getting salt from sea water for 4, 000 years. An early technology for mining sea salt was to fill shallow ponds with seawater. The water evaporated, and the resulting salt remained at the bottom of the pond.

In the water of the open ocean, regardless of the absolute concentration, the quantitative ratios of the elements of sea salt are always the same. The constancy of the salt composition is called Dietmar's law, after the English chemist who proved this important property of seawater in 1884.

On average, the salinity of the World Ocean is about 34.72 ‰

Sea salt, unlike ordinary table salt, does not consist exclusively of sodium chloride, but also contains other trace elements: potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, iron, bromine, chlorine, manganese, zinc, selenium, copper, silicon and iodine. However, the sea salt that ends up in stores contains only a tenth of the minerals the body needs. Judge for yourself - the salt obtained by solar evaporation of sea water contains 99% pure sodium chloride, and additional processing is not required. The remaining 1% consists almost entirely of magnesium and calcium compounds, and all those other 75 "valuable minerals" are practically absent. To get the amount of iron contained in one grape, you now have to eat about 100 g of this salt.

The composition of the Dead Sea salt differs significantly from the composition of the salt of other seas. It contains about 50.8% magnesium chloride, 14.4% calcium chloride, 30.4% sodium chloride and 4.4% potassium chloride. And the salt concentration is about 300%. The salt contains few sulfates, but relatively many bromides. This allowed the Dead Sea to turn into a unique health resort created by nature and attracting millions of tourists from all over the world.

The taste and color of sea salt directly depends on the place where it is mined. The most valuable is gray sea salt. It has this color because it contains inclusions of oceanic clay and particles of microscopic algae dunaliella - a plant with unique healing properties.

The world production of salt from sea water is more than 6 million tons per year.

Ancient chronicles say that King Herod and Queen Cleopatra used sea salt baths.

Sea salt is a good antiseptic that prevents rotting processes. And it is for this reason that open wounds (calluses) in people vacationing at resorts not only do not heal due to being corroded by the salt water of the sea, but also do not become inflamed, since they do not heal. salt kills all bacteria.

In the old days, salted cognac was prepared with sea salt. It was also called "sea cognac". To prepare the medicine, sea salt was added to a 3/4 filled bottle of brandy until the brandy rose under the cork. This medicine has been used to treat many internal and external diseases: sprains, sprains, diseases of the spine, headaches, wounds, and more.