The great Russian poet Sergei Alexandrovich Yesenin was born on October 3, 1895 in the village of Konstantinovo, Ryazan province. Yesenin responded about his homeland in one of his poems as follows: "My village will be famous only for that, that a woman here once gave birth to a scandalous Russian poet." Meanwhile, his native Konstantinovo had a great influence on the poet's work. The local picturesque nature did not leave young Sergei indifferent, love for his native land became the main theme in his work.
The first information about the village of Konstantinovo dates back to 1619. At that time it was the property of the tsar, later the Myshetskys and Volkonskys became the owners. In the first half of the 18th century, the estate passed to Semyon Kirillovich Naryshkin, and he, having no direct heirs, passed it on to his nephew Alexander Mikhailovich Golitsyn. It was he who erected the temple of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God in the village. In 1807, Golitsyn died, passing Konstantinovo to his illegitimate daughter Catherine. From her, the village passed to her nephews Alexander and Vladimir Olsufiev. In 1861, local peasants received freedom according to the manifesto of Emperor Alexander II.
It is only 40 kilometers from Ryazan to Konstantinovo. In 1871, Yesenin's grandfather Nikita Osipovich bought a house from a local peasant Belikov. Over time, it fell into disrepair, on the same place in 1909 a new house was built, slightly smaller in size. In 1922 the house burned down and was later rebuilt. Here in 1965 the house-museum of Sergei Alexandrovich Yesenin was opened. It has restored the atmosphere at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The poet's father, Alexander Nikitich Yesenin, at the age of fourteen, was sent to Moscow to a butcher shop owned by the merchant Krylov. There he rose to the position of senior clerk, but Alexander Nikitich did not interrupt his connection with his homeland, his family remained in Konstantinovo. As a child, Alexander Nikitich Yesenin sang in the church choir in the church in the village of Konstantinovo.
In 1879, a zemstvo school was opened in the village. The poet's father studied there, and in 1904, 9-year-old Sergei began his studies. He graduated from school in 1909 with a certificate of honor. Father proudly framed it and hung it on the wall in the house. The building of the school where Yesenin studied has not survived to our time; in 1994 it was restored for the exposition of the House-Museum of the poet.
Sergei Yesenin was baptized in the church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, which is recorded in the register of the church. For more than 45 years the priest Ioann Yakovlevich Smirnov served in the church. Here he married Yesenin's parents, baptized Sergei himself. In 1925, Father John performed the funeral service for the newly departed servant of God Sergei, despite the fact that, according to the official version, he committed suicide. Shortly before his death, Yesenin was treated in a psychiatric clinic, which was a sign of a mental disorder. In this case, the funeral service for the deceased was allowed.
Shortly before his death, Sergei Yesenin wrote the poem "Anna Snegina", which he dedicated to his native village and unrequited youthful love. The prototype of Anna Snegina was Lydia Ivanovna Kashina (Kulakova). Her father, merchant Ivan Petrovich Kulakov, bought an estate in the village of Konstantinovo. It is interesting that Lydia Ivanovna, who died in Moscow in 1937, was buried, like Yesenin, at the Vagankovskoye cemetery, not far from the poet.
Lydia Ivanovna's father, Ivan Petrovich Kulakov, began his career as an ordinary barman in an ordinary Moscow tavern "Katorga" on the Khitrov market. Later he became the owner of tenement houses, an honorary citizen of Moscow. in 1903 he was elected head of the church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God in Konstantinovo. Ivan Petrovich took an active part in the improvement of churches, ordered a new oak iconostasis. In Konstantinovo, he died in 1911 and was buried in the church fence.
Thanks to Kulakov, in 1898 a new building of the zemstvo school was built in the village, where Yesenin studied. It existed until 1952, after which it was dismantled for economic needs. The estate itself was nationalized in 1918, an outpatient clinic was opened in the house of the owners of the estate, and a club was opened in the stable. In 1926, at the initiative of Moscow writers, a library was organized in the former estate of Kulakov. Guests from Moscow donated over 1, 000 books to its fund.
In 1924, Yesenin, after many years of separation, decided to visit his native village, to meet with loved ones. As it turned out, for the last time. Before leaving Moscow for Konstantinovo, he wrote his famous "Letter to Mother". The poet seemed to have a presentiment of his close departure from life, therefore, he visited the places where everything was familiar to him from childhood.
The monument to Sergei Yesenin at home was erected in 2007. it was installed next to the house of the poet's parents. The monument was made of bronze according to the last lifetime photographs of Sergei Alexandrovich. The author is the famous Russian sculptor Anatoly Andreevich Bichukov.