Interesting facts "Cities and countries" Interesting facts about the city of Uglich
- The date of foundation of the ancient city of Uglich is 937. A native of the city of Pskov, Yan Pleskovich, a relative of Princess Olga, was sent to these parts by Olga's husband Igor to describe the local people and collect tribute. On the banks of the Volga, Yan founded a city called Uglich.
- But there is no consensus about the name itself to this day, although more than 1, 000 years have passed since the founding of the city. There are several versions. According to one of them, the Volga River makes a sharp turn here, forming a "corner". According to another, the name of the city comes from the word "coal", as the local population was engaged in burning charcoal. Well, and the third assumption - the Slavic tribe "uchih" lived here.
- In 1584, the seventh wife of Ivan the Terrible, Maria Nagaya, was exiled to Uglich together with her young son Dmitry. It was believed that Dmitry could not be the heir to the throne, since the seventh marriage was not recognized by the church as legal. But the Uglich people themselves rejoiced at the arrival of the tsarevich, believing that now their city was the second after Moscow. In 1591, a terrible tragedy occurred in Uglich, eight-year-old Dmitry was killed by a knife. A special commission headed by Vasily Shuisky, who arrived from Moscow, made an official conclusion - there was no murder. The prince played with a knife and inflicted a mortal wound on himself during an epileptic seizure. But, the townspeople were sure that Dmitry died at the hands of hired killers. An uprising broke out in the city, the participants of which tore apart the main, in their opinion, the culprits - the clerks Bityagovsky and Kachalov. The participants in the uprising were severely punished, about 60 people were executed, and the bell of the Spassky Cathedral, the alarm of which called the townspeople to the square, was sent into exile in Tobolsk. The inhabitants of Uglich were able to return it back only three centuries later - in 1892.
- A few years later, a man appeared in Russia posing as Tsarevich Dmitry, who, allegedly, did not die, but was saved. And instead of the real Dmitry, another boy suffered. Dmitry was officially crowned king, but a year later he was killed as a result of a boyar conspiracy. It was announced to the people that the fugitive monk Grigory Otrepiev was posing as the son of the Terrible. However, even today the tragedy that occurred in Uglich in 1591 remains mysterious.
- On August 31, 1778, the coat of arms of the city of Uglich was "highly approved". It depicts the murdered Tsarevich Dmitry in the "scarlet field". The son of Ivan the Terrible was canonized in 1606 and is one of the most revered Russian saints. On the site of his death in 1630, the Church of Demetrius on Blood was erected.
- Uglich is called the birthplace of domestic sausage. Since the end of the 18th century, the famous Uglitskaya sausage has been produced here. In addition to excellent taste, she was also appreciated for the fact that she could lie for two years without spoiling. In the second half of the 19th century, there were five sausage establishments in Uglich. About a hundred workers worked for them.
- In October 1858, the famous French writer Alexander Dumas visited the city of Uglich, who was traveling along the Volga. Dumas was interested in the fate of Tsarevich Dmitry Uglitsky. To the surprise of those accompanying the writer, he knew very well the history of Russia during the Time of Troubles. Here he stayed one day and set off by steamer down the Volga.
- In the 19th century, the local merchant Maria Leontyeva surprised the townspeople by the fact that she left her entire fortune of 100, 000 rubles not to relatives, but to a mongrel mongrel. The heirs tried to challenge the will, but to no avail. But the city authorities were satisfied with this decision. After all, after the death of the mongrel, all property passed into the city treasury.
- In 1910, the first motion picture was shown in the city. At first, the sessions were held in the house of the Evreinovs merchants, who played an important role in the cultural life of the city in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And on January 1, 1911, the grand opening of the first cinema in Uglich, which received the romantic name "Magic Dreams", took place.
By the way, both feature films and documentaries were shot in the city itself. For the first time Uglich appeared in the frames of the film "Tsar Ivan Vasilyevich the Terrible", filmed in 1915. The main role in this picture was played by Fyodor Ivanovich Chaliapin. The very appearance of the ancient city often attracts filmmakers.
- Nadezhda Konstantinovna Krupskaya lived in Uglich for some time. True, at that time she was still a child. When Nadia was six years old, her father got a job as an inspector at a local paper mill. According to the memoirs of Krupskaya herself, her father defended the interests of the workers, which aroused the discontent of the factory owners. Therefore, the Krupski family had to leave the city.
- In 1940, the Uglich hydroelectric power station was launched - one of the oldest in our country. Before the start of the Great Patriotic War, it was the second most powerful plant in the Soviet Union. During the war, the Uglich hydroelectric power station played an important role in the energy supply of Moscow. To protect the station from German air raids, the building was camouflaged with boards, and anti-aircraft guns were installed on the dam itself. Currently, the city has a Museum of Hydropower.
- Among other sights of Uglich, one can note the Museum of the History of Russian Vodka. It was opened here in 1998. An interesting fact, before the museum this building was occupied by a sobering-up station. Museum visitors can get acquainted with very interesting exhibits, including the cast-iron medal "For Drunkenness", which was established by Peter the Great in 1714. received such a "reward" the most incorrigible drunkards.
- The "Winter Fun" festival is held annually in Uglich. Its participants can compete in swimming "walruses", play mini-football in the snow, or try their luck in winter fishing. The organizers of the festival are doing everything to prove that winter in a provincial city can be not boring at all.
- Every year Uglich, which is part of the "Golden Ring of Russia", is visited by more than 300, 000 tourists. For comparison, the population of the city itself is 10 times less, only 32, 000 people. An amazing fact: at the beginning of the 17th century, there were more inhabitants in the city than now - 40, 000 people.