In 1906, after retiring, a military engineer, Staff Captain Nikolai Nikolayevich Ipatiev, decided to settle in Yekaterinburg, where two years later he acquired his own house.
The spacious house was located in the center of the city; it was built in the second half of the nineteenth century. By the beginning of the twentieth century, the house had already changed several owners, at first it belonged to the famous geologist Ivan Ivanovich Redikotsev, then it was acquired by the gold miner Sharavyev. Finding himself in a difficult financial situation, Sharavyev sold the house to Nikolai Nikolaevich Ipatiev.
By that time, retired staff captain Ipatiev opened his own business: he began to take contracts for the construction of railway tracks. The Ipatiev family was located on the second floor of the house, and an office was located on the first floor. The engineer paid six thousand rubles for the house, but it was worth it: the city center, water supply, sewerage, telephone, electricity. Nikolai Nikolayevich could afford such a luxury, his professional qualities were highly valued, therefore, he did not experience a shortage of orders. In 1910, after the construction of the Perm - Yekaterinburg section was completed, Ipatiev was awarded a gold commemorative token.
The peaceful life of the Ipatevs ended in the spring of 1918, at the end of April the house was requisitioned by the decision of the Ural Soviet, and the owners were ordered to release it within 24 hours. In a short time, a high fence was erected around the house, and on April 30, the former emperor Nicholas II was brought here with his wife Alexandra Fedorovna and daughter Maria. On May 23, the rest of the children of the royal couple were brought to Yekaterinburg along with a servant. Here the royal family spent the last days of their life.
The tragedy occurred on the night of July 16-17 at 1:30 am. Earlier, fears were repeatedly expressed that the royal family might be released from imprisonment by the monarchists. It was decided to liquidate the emperor's family. In the basement of the Ipatiev house, the following were shot: the former Emperor Nicholas II, his wife Alexandra Feodorovna, children Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia, Alexey. In addition, those who did not leave the former monarch were among the dead: the physician Yevgeny Botkin, the cook Ivan Kharitonov, the footman Alexei Trup and the maid Anna Demidova. The bodies of the executed were taken out of the city, where they were burned, after having doused them with sulfuric acid.
An interesting coincidence - in 1613, Mikhail Romanov was called to the Russian throne, who was at that time in the Ipatiev Monastery near Kostroma. The life of the last emperor from the Romanov dynasty was cut short in Yekaterinburg in the house of the engineer Ipatiev. The Romanovs ruled Russia for 304 years.
A few days later, the keys to the house were returned to the previous owner, but Ipatiev did not dare to return to it. For some time he remained in Yekaterinburg, which, shortly after the execution of the Romanovs, was occupied by Whites. And even sat in the city duma. After the victory of the Red Army, Ipatiev immigrated to Czechoslovakia, lived in Prague for almost twenty years. There he died and was buried at the Olshansky cemetery.
In Czechoslovakia, Ipatiev was often asked the question - could anyone from the royal family be saved? Nikolai Nikolayevich's answer was always unambiguous - no one could escape, all the Romanovs were shot. Despite this, impostors appeared regularly, posing as any of the children of Nicholas II, who miraculously escaped death.
And the Ipatiev house remained in the same place for about 60 years. In 1923, it housed the Regional Party Archive and the Ural branch of the Museum of the Revolution. The basement room, where the Romanovs spent the last minutes of their lives, aroused particular interest among visitors. The wall at which the prisoners of the Ipatiev house were shot was dismantled by the White Guards, therefore, it had to be restored. During the Great Patriotic War, some of the exhibits from the Hermitage were kept in the house; they were removed from Leningrad.
After the end of the war, the former Ipatiev house housed a variety of institutions, and in 1974 the building received the status of a monument of all-Russian significance. Ironically, the building was demolished a few years later. Fears were expressed in the region that some people are showing an increased interest in the house, not just as a historical monument. For example, they were baptized, passing by, brought candles and so on.
Already in 1975, at a meeting of the Politburo of the CPSU Central Committee, it was decided to demolish the house. In September 1977, the house was demolished in two days. It was officially announced that it interfered with the development of the infrastructure of the city of Sverdlovsk. Boris N. Yeltsin, who at that time held the post of first secretary of the Sverdlovsk regional committee of the CPSU, wrote in his memoirs that he reacted calmly to the demolition of the house, especially since he could not change Moscow's decision.